Hey everyone! I’m excited to be posting today and wishing the girls over at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! It was so fun last summer to be their SECOND Guest Artist and now to help them celebrate their 1st Anniversary- WICKED fun! 🙂
Similar to last year, I was lucky enough to get artsy fartsy with 2 of the Design Team Members. Lynn and Rachel live near by and when I get out of work early on Fridays in the summer we like to try and get together and PLAY! I already shared how we caught up on all of 12 Tags of 2015. I also was able to create my project for this post!
I knew I wanted to play with one of Tim Holtz’s burlap panel canvases… and had an idea of a theme etc. but when I started creating it took on a whole different theme and look then I planned. Even though not what I planned I love the bright colors, I love experimenting with the burlap and it was just plain’ol fun to create! Mixed Media Monthly Challenge is inviting you to pick any of the challenge themes from the past year and create what you would like. I have the full list for you at the end of this post. I played with Spray Inks, Stencils/Paste, Stamps, May Flowers and new to me technique (glazing).
- I started spreading gesso on the canvas with a palette knife. I even spread bits of gesso on the sides and edges.
- Then I spread Dina Wakley Media Turquoise paint
- I used Tim Holtz’s Splotches Stencil and spread some texture paste
- Once dry I mixed up some Dina Wakley Lime paint and Glazing Medium and spread it over the texture paste
- Using Dina Wakley’s Primitive Icons Stamp Set I stamped the circle in Magenta paint here and there. I LOVE this stamp, and especially on the burlap you don’t know how its going to come out!
- I sponged some Dina Wakley Night Paint through Tim Holtz’s Bubbles Stencil with the Mini Ink Blending Tool.
- I gesso’d over some Prima Marketing Flowers and then spritzed Wild Honey, Peacock Feathers and Twisted Citron Distress Spray Stains.
- I stamped the butterfly from Dina Wakley’s Scribbly Insects stamp set. I used Blackberry paint to stamp the butterfly. Then using Dina’s paints I watercolored the butterfly, and fussy cut it out.
- I adhered the flowers and butterfly with gel medium to the burlap canvas.
- I chose phrase sticker from Tim Holtz Small Talk stickers and adhered it to the canvas with a little gel medium ” i just want to make nice things”
- Lastly I watered down some of Dina’s Gilt paint (my fave gold paint EVA!) and splattered it around the canvas!
Ok everyone! It is your turn to play along 🙂 They are inviting you to pick ANY of their challenges from the past year (listed below) and create a mixed media project. You have the whole month to enter- so start creating!! Also, be sure to stop on over the Mixed Media Monthly so you can see what the rest of the team and guest artists created!!